An advertising company is also termed as an advertising agency or simply ad agency. It is a constituent of a service sector industry and offers services related to conceptualizing, contriving and managing advertising (and in some instances other types of promotion) for its customers. An advertising company functions in an independent manner and offers an external viewpoint for the attempt of marketing the commodities or services of the client.
Advertising is a way of communication to the common public and probable customers and the principal objective of advertising is to make people know regarding various commodities and services and how to find and implement them. Principal advertising mediums include radio, television, newspapers, magazines, movies, billboards and the Internet.
Advertising companies may function in various forms, for example, Outdoor Advertising Company or Internet Advertising Company. They offer their services on the basis of commission.
An advertising company also has the capability of managing the entire branding and marketing plans, as well as sales promotions for the clientele.
Clients can hire advertising agencies for making single advertisements or typically a chain of associated advertisements, which is known as advertising campaign.
Usually, the clients of advertising companies include the following:
- Non-profit seeking organizations
- Government agencies
The advertising companies can be categorized into the following types:
Media-neutral or Full Service Advertising Agencies (or Companies): They create television commercials, print advertisements, through-the-line advertising (TTL), and integrated marketing communications.
Interactive Agencies: In providing their services, the Interactive Agencies provide a blend of Search Engine Marketing, Web Design and Development, E-Business or E-Commerce Consultancy and Internet Advertising and Marketing.
Services offered by the Interactive Agencies include the following:
- Digital Brand Development
- Digital Lead Generation
- Rich Media Campaigns
- Communications Strategy and Interactive Marketing
- Web 2.0 website designing and development
- Interactive Video brand experiences
- email marketing
- e-Learning Tools
- Content Management Services
- SEO/SEM services
- ROI Assessment & Total Data Mining
- Web application development
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Companies
Departments Under Advertising Company
The following departments are usually present under an advertising agency
- Creative Department: Consisting of copywriters, art directors, creative directors, production artists and production studio
- Production Department: It is also known as the Creative Services Department
- Account Services Department: It is usually handled by an accounts executive and this department functions as the sales division of the advertising company.
- Other Departments: The Traffic Department and Public Relations Department
Mobile Billboard AdvertisingAdvertising companies also take the help of Mobile Billboard Advertising for the following purposes:
- Target advertising
- Sporting events
- Campaigns for a single day and long term
- Inauguration of stores and same types of publicity events
Forms of AdvertisingAdvertising can be categorized into the following types:
- Media Advertising
- Television Commercials
- Covert Advertising
- Internet Advertising
Leading Advertising CompaniesFollowing are the leading advertising companies and advertising groups in the world:
- WPP Group
- Omnicom Group
- Interpublic Group
- Aegis Group
- MDC Partners
- Aspen Marketing Services
- WB Doner and Company
- Richards Group
- Bartle Bogle Hegarty