It is a holding company that is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges, and was listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange until 2008. It is also a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index. Barclays PLC is ranked as the 25th largest company in the world by Forbes Global 2000 (2008 list).
Barclays is the largest financial services provider globally with $3.7 trillion of assets. It is the second largest bank in the United Kingdom and the world based on asset size. Its share price fell by 90% in the year to 23 January 2009, but has recovered substantially, leaving it higher as of 3 September 2009 than it had been a year before.
Area of Operation
The businesses of Barclays are:
- Banking (Personal and Business Banking/ Retail and Commercial Banking)
- Credit Card (Barclaycard)
- Investment Banking
- Investment Management
- Barclays has Total Assets of £1,378.93 billion in 2009 as compared to £2,052.98 billion in 2008
- Total profit before tax of £11.64 billion in 2009 as compared to £6.08 billion in 2008.
- Barclays operates in over 60 countries.
- Barclays has 145,000 employees.
The different operations units of Barclay are:
- UK Banking
- Retail and Commercial Banking outside UK
- Barclays Capital
- Barclays Global Investors
- Barclays Wealth
Key people Marcus Agius - Chairman
John S. Varley - Group Chief Executive & Executive Director
Robert Diamond - President
54 Lombard Street
London EC3P 3AH
Website URL: www.barclays.com