HistoryDexia was formed in 1996 following the merger of Crédit Communal de Belgique and Crédit Local de France, two top-level operators in local public sector financing in Europe. Crédit Communal de Belgique was created in 1860. Crédit Local de France was created in 1987.
Dexia grew through acquisitions and alliances in the EU countries. Today, Dexia Group is among the largest financial institutions in Europe and a worldwide operator.
MissionThe mission of Dexia Group is:
- To anchor its position as global leader in public/project finance and to broaden the universal banking franchise in Europe.
- To tap the considerable growth potential and to take greater advantage of the opportunities which exist in the field of local public sector and project financing.
Area of OperationThe businesses of Dexia Group are:
- Public & Project Finance and Credit Enhancement
- Personal Financial Services
- Investment Management and Insurance Services
- Treasury and Financial Markets
- Dexia Group holds assets of $527.16 billion.
- Dexia Group made profits of $2.40 billion in 2006.
- Dexia Group operates in 26 countries around the world.
- Dexia Group has 24,418 employees.
OrganizationAccording to the organization chart of Dexia Group, the holding company Dexia has participating interests in the following units:
- Dexia Credit Local in Paris (100% interest)
- Dexia Bank Belgium in Brussels (100% interest)
- Dexia Banque Internationale a Luxembourg in Luxembourg (99.85% interest)
- Financial Security Assurance in New York (90% interest held by Dexia Credit Local and 10% interest held by Dexia)
The organization is comprised of :
- The Management Board
- The Executive Committee
- Dexia Group ranks 121 in the world according to Forbes Magazine list.
- Dexia Group ranks 55 in Fortune Global 500 list.
SubsidiariesDexia Group has about 123 subsidiaries and branches in 26 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, and Australia.
- In 2000, Dexia acquired Financial Security Assurance.
- In 2001, Dexia announced the acquisition of Artesia Banking Corporation.
Headquarter AddressSquare de Meeûs 1,