CorporateTelstra was incorporated in the year 1901. Then it was regulated by the Postmaster General's Department (PMG). From July 1975, it was known as Telecom Australia. Presently, it is known as Telstra or Telstra Corporation Limited. Telstra is a privately owned Australian Telecommunications Company.
Telstra holds a strong position in fixed line telephone services, and it also enjoys a large share in mobile telephone services in Australia. It has a large domestic customer base. Under the brand name BigpondŽ, they also provide data and Internet services. Telstra also has cable television networks and business data services. The closest competitor of Telstra is Optus.
Telstra Corporation Limited is a Fortune 500 Company.
ActivitiesThe business activities of Telstra can be categorized into nine major segments:
- Telstra provides basic access services to most Australian residences and businesses.
- Telstra provides the facility of local and long distance telephone calls within Australia and international calls to and from Australia.
- Telstra provides mobile telecommunications services.
- Telstra provides broadband access and content.
- Telstra has an extensive range of data and Internet services (these also include services through Telstra BigPondŽ, which is one of the leading Internet service providers in Australia).
- Telstra facilitates management of IT and/or telecommunications services of business customers.
- Other carriers, carriage service providers, and ISPs also get wholesale services from Telstra.
- Telstra provides advertising, information, and searching services through Sensis, which is a leading directory and search company of Australia.
- Telstra provides cable distribution services for cable subscription television services of FOXTELŽ.
PerformanceThe Sales Revenue for the fiscal year 2006 amounted to Aus $ 22,750 million and for the fiscal year 2005 it was Aus $ 22,161 million.
The following table shows the trend of Net Profit of the company for the last three years:
|Fiscal Year ended||Net Profit (Aus $-In millions)|
The following table shows the trend of Total Assets held by the company for the last three years:
|Fiscal Year ended||Total Assets (Aus $-In millions)|
OrganizationRepresentative: Solomon D. Trujillo, Chief Executive Officer
No of Employees: 46,336
Address:242 Exhibition Street, Melbourne, 3000 Tel: 61-3-9634-6400