Recent company Mergers
In the recent times, many companies around the globe involve in merger. The main aim of buying a company is to increase the share value above the sum total of the two merging companies. The two companies together become more valuable than two separate entities.
- In 2006, The Federal Communications Commission approved the 86 billion dollar merger between Bell South Corporation and AT&T.
- In October, 2006, TATA Steel Ltd agreed a 8.04 billion dollars merger with the Corus Group, an Anglo-Dutch steel company.
- In January 2007, one of the leading American forest production company Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. announced their merger with Bowater Inc.
- On the 19th of February 2007, merger between XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio have been completed. The combination of these two radio services formed a single Satellite Radio network in Canada and US.
- In October 2007, the merger of the two big beer companies, Molson Coors and SABMiller, took place. The combination of these two, in which Miller will have 58% shareholding, will now be known as MillerCoors and offer a challenge to the other beer production companies of USA.