VSNL and Teleglobe Merger
The VSNL and Teleglobe merger in 2006 was one of the biggest deals in the international communications industry. VSNL (Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited) acquired Teleglobe International Holdings Ltd. in a deal worth 239 million US dollars. VSNL's annual revenue was expected to shoot up by 200% as a result of this acquisition.
The new company formed out of the VSNL and Teleglobe merger had broad based ownership of data, voice and mobile networks spanning 240 countries. The important aspects of the emerging company by the merger of VSNL and Teleglobe are -
- Global representation in 35+ countries.
- Over 650 enterprise customers and 1400 enterprise customers globally.
- A total of about 206,356 km of cable inclusive of both land and under-sea cable.
- Ownership of more than 100 cable systems.
- Role of network administrator in SEA-ME-WE4 (South East Asia-Middle East -Western Europe).
- 30 earth stations ensuring access to 5 geo-stationary satellites.
- The emerging company connected the Indian telecom network with 240 international territories.
- It also provided connection to 400 cellular service operators across the globe.
- Provided Global data service to India.
- Engaged in delivering content data.