Top 10 Importing Economies of the World
Top 10 Importing Economies by Imports for 2010:
The imports value mentioned here is an aggregate of the merchandise imports and commercial services imports done by the country for the mentioned year. The merchandise imports can be further categorized into capital goods, industrial supplies and consumer goods.
The list includes countries from three continents – North America, Asia and Europe. It does not feature any country from Africa or Oceania though. Below is the list of the top ten importing economies for the year 2010:
|Korea, Republic of||425.21||93||518.21|
|As on : 18th Nov, 2011
Source : International Trade Statistics 2011, WTO
Brief about the Economies:
- United States: The major import partners of the US are China, Japan, Canada, Germany and Mexico. It primarily imports industrial supplies such as crude oil and other products like computers, automobiles, telecom equipment, clothes, automobile parts, and medicines.
- China: China primarily imports electrical and other machines, metal ores, oil and mineral fuels, plastics, medical and optical equipment and organic chemicals. Its top import partners are Japan, Germany, South Korea, Australia and the US.
- Germany: Germany’s prominent import partners are Netherlands, China, France, Italy and Belgium. It also imports goods and services from the UK, the US, Austria and Switzerland. This European country basically imports machinery, foodstuffs, vehicles, textiles, chemicals and metals.
- Japan: The major goods and services imported by Japan are machines and equipment, chemicals, fuels, textiles, foodstuffs, and raw materials. Its major import partners are China, the UAE, the US, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia and Saudi Arabia.
- France: The leading import partners of France are Germany, Spain, Belgium, China, Italy, the UK and Netherlands. It primarily imports machines and equipment, aircraft, vehicles, plastics, crude oil and chemicals.
- United Kingdom: The UK’s main imports are manufactured goods, fuels, machinery and foodstuffs. Its top import partners are Germany, the US, China, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium and France.
- Netherlands: The prominent import partners of Netherlands are Germany, the US, China, the UK, Belgium, and Russia. It primarily imports machinery and transport equipment, food items, chemicals, clothing and fuels.
- Italy: Italy primarily imports engineering products, clothes and textiles, chemicals, food, transport equipment, beverages, energy products, tobacco and, minerals and nonferrous metals. Its top import partners are Germany, Netherlands, France, Spain and China.
- South Korea: The major import partners of South Korea are China, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Australia and the US. Its major imports are machines, transport equipment, electronic products, organic chemicals, oil, plastics and, steel.
- Canada: The US is the prominent import partner of Canada, followed by Mexico and China. The North American country basically imports equipment and machines, chemicals, cars and automobile parts, electricity, crude oil and, long-lasting consumer durables.